Friday, October 31, 2008

HALLOWEEN

First, let me explain about me and Halloween. My mother HATED Halloween. You may ask how I know this. It's because each and every Halloween for as long as I can remember Peggy and I would rush home expectantly on Halloween and ask mom what we were gonna be and she would, without fail, reply " I HATE HALLOWEEN!" and then send us in our rooms to see what we could invent ourselves. Not too much fun, but I LOVED the candy. I don't hate Halloween, I just don't know how to do it. One year, I swear this is true, I painted Trace's nose black, put ears on his glasses and sent him out as...."TRACE, THE DOG FACED BOY". I am sorry to this day for that one, but it was all I could come up with. Each and every year this "holiday" reminds me of how unimaginative and uncreative I am....that said, I think that through the years, I did okay for being completely at a loss as how to "do" Halloween:
Pirates, Vampires and Clowns are about as good as I can get......I absolutely LOVE the picture of Trace sleeping as a pirate. The bottom picture cracks me up. I came home from work and Tracy was all set to take the boys out trick or treating.....the funniest part is that literally ALL the neighbors thought Tracy was the neighbor girl that lived on the corner (she was kinda "big" if you know what I mean).

This is the year that Dana's neighbor Rob ruined Halloween. Trace went over to Dana's to trick or treat with Jake and Ty. The first stop was accross the street to Rob and Sarah's house. Rob was VERY TALL and SKINNY...he answered the door with a great big golf ball attached to his head with just his face poking out. Trace took one look at him and headed for Dana's house....crying like....well, like he had seen a ghost. He refused to go out again. Didn't get any candy that year. He still remembers how scared he was..... a giant golf ball head and now Halloween's screwed for life in his eyes!!! (you will notice that Jake and Ty are.....PIRATES...I wonder why??)

Okay, I am proud of these vampires. I made these capes...by hand. Didn't have a sewing machine and the boys wanted "real" capes. Not too bad if I do say so myself. That's Kyle with Sam Cordivin on the top right.
This was Trace's first Halloween. Sue made the costume for her kids and it got handed down to me. It was awesome.....but, as you can see, I had to bribe Trace with food to get him to wear it. (notice: Jake and Tyler as vampires...do you sense a pattern here???)
This last picture isn't of Halloween. It is my very favorite picture of my boys. It always reminds me how blessed I am to have them in my life. They have brought joy, tears, laughter, pain, bliss and so much amazing love into my life. They are such AWESOME young men and I can't believe that I am lucky enough to be a part of their lives.


Happy Halloween to you all. I hope that this is a day and night filled with the magic that is supposed to be Halloween. Be safe and know that I love you.....even if you dress like the girl down the street!

2 comments:

Jill Elizabeth said...

Trace, the dog-faced boy? Wow. Dude's probably action-packed with issues from that one.

Tracy didn't look half-bad as a woman. Which frightens me.

Auntie Ann said...

Happy halloween! So fun to see all of your old photos!