Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Just some stuff

Just because it's been nearly two month since I last blogged, I am blogging about some random thoughts today.

First: I have a round, white scar on my left arm. It's from the smallpox shot I got in 3rd grade. Back in the day, you got vaccinated at school. You stood in a LONG line in the cafeteria and watched as the school nurse "shot" the kids in line in front of you. It was frightening. The smallpox was the worst because it formed a round scab on your arm about the size of a quarter. I was told at the time that if the scab fell off before your arm was ready that you would get smallpox and die. I was jumping rope at recess one day when the rope hit my arm, knocked my scab off and I started screaming, crying and yelling for help...I KNEW that I was gonna get smallpox and die! (by the way, it was all a lie).


Second: After getting a shot in the arm to "protect" me from disease, the cafeteria lunch lady handed each of us a sugar cube doused in another vaccine. We ate the sugar cube without any question. Can you imagine? Stay away from the kool-aid.


Third: The summer before 5th grade I was paralyzed on my right side. Dr. Washburn never really knew why. He "thought" I had rheumatic fever, so, that entire year I wasn't allowed to run during recess. That was awful.


Fourth: Sports for girls was not heard of until my Senior year. That seems unreal to me now.


Last: I always walk in the door and kick off my shoes first thing. This used to drive my mother nuts and now, it drives my husband nuts. Today, I was sitting on the couch and reached down and picked up my sandals. I was just going to toss them down the hall and then put them in the closet later...just wanted to get them out of the living room. I gave them a toss...and one stuck to the door frame. Don't know why but Tracy and I thought it was hilarious.


Tracy is having a nerve conduction test done on his arms Friday. He is having carpal tunnel surgery shortly after that. I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

jgirl said...

just imagine how backwards so many things seem from way back when...my kids don't know...what tapes are, what Utah claws are, how to keep from getting paddled at the Principal's office, what pegging your pants means, what a rotary phone looks like, how one would "gleek", why anyone would purposely cut the sleeves of their sweatshirts, or that Ronald McDonald used to be far creepier when he made commercials!

Erin said...

so glad you're posting again. those car photos are so sad. Hope all goes well for Tracy.