Sunday December 7, 1941
I was in L.A. attending the Youth Convention. After the morning meeting Sister Viola Miller, who we stayed with, told us of bombings by Japan of Honolulu and Manila. However, I thought that had been a mistake and would soon be cleared up. When we went to the afternoon meeting we heard a defense bond talk that mentioned these bombings. At the meeting I told Eldredge, who knew nothing about it. Everyone was talking about it. During the meeting no mention was made of it. However, after Oscar A. Kirkham had finished his remarks, a man came to him & for a few seconds they were in earnest conversation. We all felt something had happened. Bro. Kirkham stood up and solemnly announced that Japan had declared war on the U.S. We were stunned. The meeting was closed soon after this. We rode around L.A. waiting for the night meeting at 6:30. Extras were on the street, but people were not panicky. In fact there was no difference than any other Sunday.
“War With Japs” was the headline. Up in a corner above this was this statement: “Race Results”. After dinner, we heard all soldiers were to be in their camps as soon as possible. All cops and firemen, soldiers were hurrying around L.A.
On the way home we listened to war reports. I felt that it was just a dream or that it was a mistake and would be over soon. It was finally brought a little to home when one reporter was telling what to do. He said if we heard shooting that we were to take cover to avoid shrapnel. I was afraid for Jiggs. (he was Mom’s High School boyfriend) It was 12:30 when we got home and I went to bed.
Monday, December 8, 1941
Bombings were continued on the Islands. At school we listened to President Roosevelt ask Congress to declare war and then the discussion on the floor of the Senate. (The final vote in the Senate was 82-0 and in the house 388-1. The one negative vote was Congresswomen Rankin from Mass.) We heard Winston Churchill’s address backing the U.S. & declaring war. Nothing startling happened until about seven o’clock when all the coast stations went off the air except for one minute every 15 min. which was to be used to broadcast instructions. About 9:30 it was learned that about 60 Japanese planes were off San Francisco and they were heading south. This was the 1st time I had ever really been scared of war. L.A. & Frisco were having black outs. We were put on the alert & told that when the street lights went out to darken all lights. This happened at midnight. (This is San Diego’s 1st blackout). There were many rumors tody. Most of them were fantastic. Still no word from Jiggs.
Tuesday, December 9, 1941
Today at school (Herbert Hoover Senior High where I am a Senior A) We were told what to do when we had an air raid practice and where to go. This was 3rd period (10:00 – 11:15) When at (12:45 – 1:45) 5th period we had the practice. Bombings were still going on in the islands. New York had an air raid scare today. However, it was a false alarm. Pres. Roosevelt talked to the people tonight at 7 P.S.T. He said there was no information as yet to what damage was done in the islands and that the war would be long and hard. I got a letter from Jiggs today, but it was written Dec. 5 & gave no satisfaction. Mutual was called off because we are expecting to have a blackout. There is one around L.A. & Frisco. There have been many false rumors here today. When a plane is heard overhead we all go to look out because all but military planes have been grounded. It has been raining here last night & today & night. The traffic on El Cajon has practically stopped and it is terribly spooky outside.
Wednesday, December 10, 1941
Nothing startling had happened all day. There had been fierce fighting in the Islands. At school the fellows were organized into various committees for air raid rescue. The British lost “The Prince of Wales”and “The Repulse” However, we are certain the Japs lost one battleship. (they have 10) It is burning off Manila. In the evening Shirl and Martha Kimball came over. We were in the front room talking when one of the Heaton’s came to get a recommend. After he left he hurried back to tell us the street lights had gone out (the blackout signal). We turned all the lights out. When we went outside, most of people on the block had also. However, there were a few who had left their lights on and people were fast making the rounds of those telling them about the blackout. This all happened at sever forty two. I stayed up until ten o’clock, but nothing happened. It was a beautiful night.
I was in L.A. attending the Youth Convention. After the morning meeting Sister Viola Miller, who we stayed with, told us of bombings by Japan of Honolulu and Manila. However, I thought that had been a mistake and would soon be cleared up. When we went to the afternoon meeting we heard a defense bond talk that mentioned these bombings. At the meeting I told Eldredge, who knew nothing about it. Everyone was talking about it. During the meeting no mention was made of it. However, after Oscar A. Kirkham had finished his remarks, a man came to him & for a few seconds they were in earnest conversation. We all felt something had happened. Bro. Kirkham stood up and solemnly announced that Japan had declared war on the U.S. We were stunned. The meeting was closed soon after this. We rode around L.A. waiting for the night meeting at 6:30. Extras were on the street, but people were not panicky. In fact there was no difference than any other Sunday.
“War With Japs” was the headline. Up in a corner above this was this statement: “Race Results”. After dinner, we heard all soldiers were to be in their camps as soon as possible. All cops and firemen, soldiers were hurrying around L.A.
On the way home we listened to war reports. I felt that it was just a dream or that it was a mistake and would be over soon. It was finally brought a little to home when one reporter was telling what to do. He said if we heard shooting that we were to take cover to avoid shrapnel. I was afraid for Jiggs. (he was Mom’s High School boyfriend) It was 12:30 when we got home and I went to bed.
Monday, December 8, 1941
Bombings were continued on the Islands. At school we listened to President Roosevelt ask Congress to declare war and then the discussion on the floor of the Senate. (The final vote in the Senate was 82-0 and in the house 388-1. The one negative vote was Congresswomen Rankin from Mass.) We heard Winston Churchill’s address backing the U.S. & declaring war. Nothing startling happened until about seven o’clock when all the coast stations went off the air except for one minute every 15 min. which was to be used to broadcast instructions. About 9:30 it was learned that about 60 Japanese planes were off San Francisco and they were heading south. This was the 1st time I had ever really been scared of war. L.A. & Frisco were having black outs. We were put on the alert & told that when the street lights went out to darken all lights. This happened at midnight. (This is San Diego’s 1st blackout). There were many rumors tody. Most of them were fantastic. Still no word from Jiggs.
Tuesday, December 9, 1941
Today at school (Herbert Hoover Senior High where I am a Senior A) We were told what to do when we had an air raid practice and where to go. This was 3rd period (10:00 – 11:15) When at (12:45 – 1:45) 5th period we had the practice. Bombings were still going on in the islands. New York had an air raid scare today. However, it was a false alarm. Pres. Roosevelt talked to the people tonight at 7 P.S.T. He said there was no information as yet to what damage was done in the islands and that the war would be long and hard. I got a letter from Jiggs today, but it was written Dec. 5 & gave no satisfaction. Mutual was called off because we are expecting to have a blackout. There is one around L.A. & Frisco. There have been many false rumors here today. When a plane is heard overhead we all go to look out because all but military planes have been grounded. It has been raining here last night & today & night. The traffic on El Cajon has practically stopped and it is terribly spooky outside.
Wednesday, December 10, 1941
Nothing startling had happened all day. There had been fierce fighting in the Islands. At school the fellows were organized into various committees for air raid rescue. The British lost “The Prince of Wales”and “The Repulse” However, we are certain the Japs lost one battleship. (they have 10) It is burning off Manila. In the evening Shirl and Martha Kimball came over. We were in the front room talking when one of the Heaton’s came to get a recommend. After he left he hurried back to tell us the street lights had gone out (the blackout signal). We turned all the lights out. When we went outside, most of people on the block had also. However, there were a few who had left their lights on and people were fast making the rounds of those telling them about the blackout. This all happened at sever forty two. I stayed up until ten o’clock, but nothing happened. It was a beautiful night.
I found an envelope that had some small pages in it. On the envelope was the words "what I remember". It was hard to read, so I transcribed it. I am amazed that, as a Senior in High School, my mother had the foresight to write down what was happening as it happened.
2 comments:
Where did you get this? I have never seen this. I would like to read all of it if there is more.
I'm sorry you feel "orphaned" by the rest of us, but I want you to realize that I never hear from anyone either. I think we are all at fault for not staying closer. There is plenty of fault to go around.
That was your brother, not Mary
Post a Comment