- I was driving home yesterday and Elvis came on singing I'll have a blue Christmas without you...reminded me of Wally,as Elvis and Mary and Sue singing back up for the Christmas Eve Program. A classic to be sure!
- Sunday in Church they sang I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day which ALWAYS reminds me of when Paul and Mom tried to play a duet with the piano and trumpet only to discover that they don't play in the same register and how hard everyone laughed. I think Paul about split a gut!
- Paul and Sue singing Like a Lion in the Winter...still makes me cry every time I hear it. It was so beautiful.
- The year my Chatty Kathy doll got lost
- The year "Santa" stayed up late finishing up a tea table and tea set for Peggy and I...we were in the same bed (like always) and were making up songs to to beat of the hammering.
- The year after we were married and I gave Tracy a pizza cutter and he gave me a hammer for the kitchen...that's all we could afford.
- The Christmas that Tracy and I were engaged he went to Dunkin Doughnuts and bought some tree ornaments...they were about an inch high and were a TIN SOLDER, A DRUMMER BOY AND A REINDEER. I still have them and get them out every year.
- The year we surprized the boys with a Nintendo 64 ... we hid it and didn't give it to them until WAY after all the presents under the tree were opened.
- We ALWAYS bought NERF guns for four and had NERF ball wars all day long
- Grandpa and Grandma's couch had SO many presents behind it that they were piled higher than the back of the couch.
- Bubble lights
- Looking out the back porch in San Diego at the lights, traffic...it always scared me to sleep out there because it kind of leaned and I was afraid it would fall off and drop down to the valley below.
- The rock fort behind their home
- For the first three years Tracy and I were married his Dad made us a reindeer of one kind or another each year. I treasure them...even though they are kinda falling apart.
- Beth's caramels...the best EVER in the whole world
- The year Dad Stanford bought Binky for Mom...bringing her home in my coat pocket. She was so cute. Dad was so excited to give it to her. It was so awesome to see their love.
- Dad's last Christmas. He knew it was Christmas (which was kind of amazing) and INSISTED on going shopping for Mom. He loved her so much. Bought her Estee Lauder, of course. She was VERY VERY surprised when she realized that I didn't just go get it and put her name on it. He also bought me a coat. I tried to refuse, but he insisted. It turned out to be the last time that he actually knew who I was. I treasure that coat even though it is WAY out of style.
- The Christmas programs. We all hated/loved/remember them
- Mom always made stew on Christmas Eve.
Like Dana I too miss my family this time of year. More than usual. I wish that someone would take charge and become the leader of the Paul and Margie DeWitt family and see that those ties are not completely lost...maybe someday.
I miss and love you all more than you will ever know. Merry Christmas.
2 comments:
Thanks for re-awakening my memories. Seems I've forgotten alot. As Jill pointed out--The Drive-by Foodings!!
Drive safely and have fun in SLC. We will see you next week.
such a sweet post.
Post a Comment